Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cowboy at Heart

Having read several books by Lori Copeland before, I thought that maybe I'd enjoy this new book.

Cowboy at Heart is pretty much just another story set in an Amish community. It has basically the same plot as many other books about the Amish. I'm pretty sure this is part of a series, but it does not have to be read in order.

Jonas is a middle-aged man whose wife passed away. He is homesteading in Kansas and a big time rancher from Texas moves in and starts taking over Jonas' property and putting fence up where it doesn't belong.

Jonas doesn't want to retaliate because it's against his beliefs, but doesn't want to lose his property, either. His sons-in-law are not Amish, so they come to the rescue.

There's also a widow named Katie who is young and not really looking for another husband. When an English man with a bad past comes into the community to help rescue Jonas' land, Katie finds herself falling in love.

She has no desire to leave the Amish, so at the end, Jesse joins the Amish community and they love happily ever after....

Maybe I'm a little cynical, but in the real world, things don't always happen this way. I sometimes shy away from reading Amish based books because I lived near and Amish community and not many people were willing to live the plain, simple life that they live.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not against the Amish. I admire them for living so plain and simply, and I have several Amish and Mennonite friends. I just don't see many people these days wanting to leave the comfort and "things" that we have to join them.

Overall, I still find Lori Copeland and Virginia Smith's writing style a relaxing read. If you just want something light and fluffy that will take your mind off things for awhile, then by all means read this book :)

My Rating: 3.5 stars


NOTE: I was given a FREE e-copy of this book by NetGalley/Harvest House Publishers for review. They do not require a positive review, only and honest one. The comments and opinions are my own.

No comments :