Monday, March 25, 2013

My new hobby :)

I've always wanted to learn how to knit, but I don't have the patience to work with those silly needles, when there are so many other things that I can do quickly :)

When Mark & Laura were out year before last, she brought a knitting loom, and I thought it looked really easy. She made a scarf and a hat while they were here, and it really didn't take that long. I was really impressed, although I am impressed with pretty much anything Laura does cause she's so amazing :)

So, right before Christmas I decided to spend some money and by myself a small knitting loom from Michael's. I decided that I would make a scarf for James first, because he wouldn't complain if it didn't turn out just perfect. LOL!

I sat down and made my very first scarf in 2 1/2 hours! (Mind you, it was NOT perfect, and it wasn't very tight, and well...I could say a few other things about it!) James liked it and I thought I wouldn't mind doing this again.



Since then, I've gotten some round looms, and a sock loom (that I don't really like, but I've gotta try it with sock yard before I totally make my mind up about it). I have knitted several scarves, some hats, and a pair of sock and now working on another pair. It is quite fun and relaxing!



So when I'm not reading, I'm usually knitting :) Did I say how much more I enjoy the loom than those silly needles? And, it's really easy for children to do as well. (yep, I'm a big kid!) I really love all the different colors and options that are available. You can pretty much have a scarf in every color if you want, but it does get kind of expensive if you don't have any coupons available.

Oh, and another thing I found out! Joann Fabrics will take Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and Joann's coupons all in the same transaction! They all have to be used towards seperate items, but still...you can save tons!

ps. The pics here are NOT the first scarf I made and the little girl is Clara, one of our pastor's girls :)

2 comments :

Christa said...

I got started with traditional knitting by doing the looms first. I still enjoy loom knitting, but I've also learned to use the traditional needles.

I've never used a sock loom, but I'd be curious to see it in action or know what you think of it after you've tried it with sock yarn. I do all of my socks with regular needles, but I'm terribly curious about how easy they are with the loom.

Kimberly said...

I have tried the needles, but I'm not sure I had a great teacher with that :) I still haven't gotten the sock yarn, but I'm knitting them with the round loom. It's pretty easy, doesn't take much thinking once you get past the cuff, til you get to the heel :)